Author: Luke Smith <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 14:18:50 -0500
log in with full email addr instead of username
2 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)
diff --git a/README.md b/README.md
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
# Email server setup script
-I wrote this script during the gruelling process of installing and setting up
+I wrote this script during the grueling process of installing and setting up
an email server. It perfectly reproduces my successful steps to ensure the
same setup time and time again.
@@ -14,14 +14,10 @@ curl -LO lukesmith.xyz/emailwiz.sh
When prompted by a dialog menu at the beginning, select "Internet Site", then
give your full domain without any subdomain, i.e. `lukesmith.xyz`.
-Read this readme and peruse the script's comments before running it. Expect it
-to fail and you have to do bug testing and you will be very happy when it
-actually works perfectly.
## This script installs
- **Postfix** to send and receive mail.
-- **Dovecot** to get mail to your email client (mutt, Thunderbird, etc).
+- **Dovecot** to get mail to your email client (mutt, Thunderbird, etc.).
- Config files that unique the two above securely with native log-ins.
- **Spamassassin** to prevent spam and allow you to make custom filters.
- **OpenDKIM** to validate you so you can send to Gmail and other big sites.
@@ -50,19 +46,19 @@ actually works perfectly.
server: (1) an **MX record** pointing to your own main domain/IP and (2) a
**CNAME record** for your `mail.` subdomain.
4. **A Reverse DNS entry for your site.** Go to your VPS settings and add an
- entry for your IPV4 Reverse DNS that goes from your IP address to
- `<yourdomain.com>` (not mail subdomain). If you would like IPV6, you can do
+ entry for your IPv4 Reverse DNS that goes from your IP address to
+ `<yourdomain.com>` (not mail subdomain). If you would like IPv6, you can do
the same for that. This has been tested on Vultr, and all decent VPS hosts
- will have a section on their instance settings page to add a reverse DNS PTR
+ will have a section on their instance settings page to add a reverse DNS PTR
You can use the 'Test Email Server' or ':smtp' tool on
[mxtoolbox](https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx) to test if you set up
a reverse DNS correctly. This step is not required for everyone, but some
- big email services like gmail will stop emails coming from mail servers
+ big email services like Gmail will stop emails coming from mail servers
with no/invalid rDNS lookups. This means your email will fail to even
- make it to the receipients spam folder; it will never make it to them.
+ make it to the recipients spam folder; it will never make it to them.
5. `apt purge` all your previous (failed) attempts to install and configure a
- mailserver. Get rid of _all_ your system settings for Postfix, Dovecot,
+ mail server. Get rid of _all_ your system settings for Postfix, Dovecot,
OpenDKIM and everything else. This script builds off of a fresh install.
6. Some VPS providers block port 25 (used to send mail). You may need to
request that this port be opened to send mail successfully. Although I have
@@ -105,27 +101,23 @@ email program. For my domain, the server information will be as follows:
- SMTP port: 587
- IMAP server: `mail.lukesmith.xyz`
- IMAP port: 993
-- Username `luke` (I.e. *not* `email@example.com`)
-The last point is important. Many email systems use a full email address on
-login. Since we just simply use local PAM logins, only the user's name is used
-(this makes a difference if you're using my
-## Tweaking things
-You're a big boy now if you have your own mail server!
-You can tweak Postfix (sending mail
+In previous versions of emailwiz, you also had to log on with *only* your
+username (i.e. `luke`) rather than your whole email address (i.e.
+`firstname.lastname@example.org`), which caused some confusion. This is no longer the
## Benefited from this?
-If this script or documentation has saved you some frustration, you can donate
-to support me at [lukesmith.xyz/donate](https://lukesmith.xyz/donate.html).
+I am always glad to hear this script is still making life easy for people! If
+this script or documentation has saved you some frustration, you can donate to
+support me at [lukesmith.xyz/donate](https://lukesmith.xyz/donate.html).
## Troubleshooting -- Can't send mail?
- Always check `journalctl -xe` to see the specific problem.
+- Check with your VPS host and ask them to enable mail ports. Some providers
+ disable them by default. It shouldn't take any time.
- Go to [this site](https://appmaildev.com/en/dkim) to test your TXT records.
If your DKIM, SPF or DMARC tests fail you probably copied in the TXT records
diff --git a/emailwiz.sh b/emailwiz.sh
@@ -130,6 +130,7 @@ ssl_key = <$certdir/privkey.pem
ssl_dh = </usr/share/dovecot/dh.pem
# Plaintext login. This is safe and easy thanks to SSL.
auth_mechanisms = plain login
+auth_username_format = %n
protocols = \$protocols imap
@@ -286,7 +287,6 @@ $dmarcentry
$spfentry" > "$HOME/dns_emailwizard"
| \ | | _____ ___
| \| |/ _ \ \ /\ / (_)